You're probably already aware that Spektrix integrates with several payment service providers such as SagePay and WorldPay (formerly Vantiv).
However, there is another well-known supplier who we have integrated with too – PayPal. Although we wouldn't suggest you use PayPal as your sole payment provider it is a great addition to your existing payment options.
In this article, we are going to discuss how to get this set up for your organisation.
NOTE: PayPal is only available as an online method of payment, and isn't accessible via the Sales Interface (although refunds can be made in the Sales Interface). It is also currently only available in the Classic Checkout, not The Express Checkout, flow.
Setting up a PayPal business account
It's worth speaking to your internal finance team first of all, to check whether your organisation already has a PayPal account - you might already have this for paying certain suppliers. If this is the case please jump to the section below named Generating an API Signature.
If you don't already have a business PayPal account, and therefore need to set one up from scratch, please follow the steps below:
- Go to https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/merchant
- Click Sign Up to create your business account.
- Choose the Standard account (The pro account does not provide any additional functionality as we use an API integration).
- Continue to input all details until you complete registration and you are given a username and password to access your PayPal account.
- Move onto the Generating an API Signature section below.
Generating an API signature
The Spektrix integration with PayPal makes use of an API feed. An API is a feed of raw information that allows us to work seamlessly with other providers like PayPal or your web developers.
When using the API feed there are a number of security features to prevent the wrong people from processing payments on your behalf. For the Spektrix integration to work we require these three fields from PayPal:
- API Username
- API Password
Please follow the steps below to generate these items:
1. Log into PayPal.
2. Select Activity on the top navigation bar.
3. Under Operations select API access as per the screenshot below.
4. Scroll down and select Manage API credentials, which is listed under the heading NVP/Soap API Integration (Classic).
5. You will see a screen with two options available: Request API Signature or Request API certificate. You need to select Request API Signature.
6. You will then be presented with the details for your API signature; you have to click Show for them to be made visible on your screen. Take a copy of all of these details.
7. Contact the Spektrix Support team and supply these details. The Support team will make the necessary changes to your Spektrix system, and your customers will be able to use their PayPal accounts to make payments in future.
NOTE: for security purposes, please do not send your API credentials by email. The most secure way to provide these details is over the phone.
Paying using PayPal online
With PayPal enabled, your customers will see another payment option on your website when they reach the Billing Details section of the checkout process.
Having selected PayPal as a payment method, once customers reach the Payment section they will see a Check out with PayPal button as well as the gift voucher option as normal.
Clicking this button opens a PayPal login screen where customers need to enter their PayPal account details to be able to make the payment and carry on with the order.
All other elements of the booking process remain the same as with any other method of payment.
NOTE: payments made using PayPal can be refunded as normal, using the PayPal Express Refund option within the Refunds tab of the Payments section.
PayPal in orders
When you view an order in the Sales Interface which was made with PayPal as the method of payment, it will appear like this:
Reconciling PayPal payments
Please see below some important notes on reconciling PayPal transactions:
- PayPal payments display in the standard Spektrix Accounting reports under the payment method of PayPal (unless you're viewing the raw data, in which case it displays as Express Checkout Payment)
- PayPal does not automatically settle your funds into your bank account. To take funds from your PayPal account you have to use the PayPal web portal
If you have any further questions about setting up or using PayPal with Spektrix, please get in touch with the Support team to discuss further.