The Ingenico Lane 3000 is only available for US Clients who use World Pay as their Payment Gateway. To get information on how to order an Ingenico Lane 3000 please contact Spektrix Support.
Chip readers (or PIN pads) aren’t ‘plug and play’ hardware - that means that unfortunately it’s not possible to just plug them into a computer and start using them straight away. They require a bit of set-up before they’re ready to use, but don’t worry - even if you never normally deal with computers or hardware, we’ll go through the process step by step.
This article will cover everything you need to get your Ingenico Lane 3000 up and running for card insert payments only. At this time, Spektrix is not integrated with Tap to Pay.
We’d strongly recommend following this article very closely. Mistakes made during installation can be very time consuming to rectify later, so it’s best to get it right the first time! Even if you’ve successfully installed a chip reader before, we’d recommend following this article in case there have been any changes to the process since you last completed an installation.
You will need:
- One Windows PC per Chip Reader (MacBooks are not compatible)
- Microsoft Admin access
- Updated Version of Box Office App
If you do not have the Box Office App installed on your computer please start with this article on Understanding and Installing the Box Office App.
Once you have all of the above, you are ready to install your chip reader following the steps below:
- Update the Box Office App
- Reach out to Spektrix Support
- Unbox the chip reader
- Connect your device and install the USB Device Driver
- Install the triPOS software for chip reader set-up
- Configure the triPOS software
- Register to the Box Office App
- Connect to your Spektrix System
- Test a payment
Update the Box Office App
To make sure you have the most up to date version of our Box Office App you can right click the Box Office App in the system tray. From there it will show you the version of the app at the top. This should read BoxOffice App 2.4.12503.0. If your app does not have this version, select 'Check for Updates.' This will update the Box Office App to the latest version.
Reach out to Spektrix Support
Once you have successfully installed and updated the box office app on the computer you are going to connect to your Ingenico Lane 3000 Chip Reader too, reach out to Spektrix Support. Spektrix Support will set up the back end of your system to ensure that all of the necessary system configurations are in place.
Once we’ve confirmed that the chip reader functionality has been turned on for your system, you will be able to process payments using the chip reader.
Unbox the chip reader
Take the chip reader out of the box and connect the cord with the USB to the chip reader (you won’t need the ethernet cable). The cord with the USB will also have a place for the power cable to connect. Connect the device to your computer and power source and then continue to the next stage.
You will likely need a small Phillips head screw driver to connect the cord to the device.
Install the USB device driver
The next step is to download the appropriate USB Device Driver. First, connect your device by USB if you haven’t already done so.
You can download the latest version of the Ingenico Lane 3000 drivers by going to the Software Downloads article. Download only the first option in “Click here to download the latest drivers for the Ingenico Lane 3000”.
- The file will have IngenicoUSBDrivers_setup.exe in the name.
Open and run the driver installer file. Once installation has completed, go into the Device Manager on your computer - open the Start Menu and type "Device Manager" to select into it.
Locate and expand the menu option called "Ports". This will list all connection points being used on your computer, and should include your chip reader in the list. The chip reader might be labelled as USB Serial Device or the device name (Ingenico Lane 3xxx).
The USB Serial Port driver is the default Windows driver. Be sure to note the specific COM that you are updating, which will likely be COM9.
Highlight your chip reader in the list, right click and select Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
You’ll then be prompted to choose one of two options. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Highlight the device from the list that you have installed and then click Next.
At this point, you will notice that you have specified the driver to be used for your chip reader and that the name will be displayed. You’ll also see this listed on your Device Manager.
Take note of this number listed after COM once you’ve updated, you will need to use this number when installing the TriPOS software later.
Install the triPOS software
Once you have installed the driver, the next step is to download the triPOS Software to configure your device to work with Worldpay.
You can download the latest version of the Ingenico Lane 3000 drivers by going to the Software Downloads article. Download from the secound link under Ingenico Lane 3000 “here to download the latest Software to use the Chip Reader”.
- The file you need will have triPOS_Setup.exe in the name.
Double click the file to start the installation process. You’ll see the first setup window appear:
Tick the I agree box and press Install.
On the next window, press Next to begin the setup process and move through the sections as they are defaulted until you get to the Configuration Information window.
Here you will add in your Merchant ID, Account ID and Account Token details, which you can find within your Worldpay Account, by going to Worldpay > Self Service > Express Credentials.
Press Next to proceed to the following screen.
Press Install to begin the installation process.
Once that’s finished you should see the following message indicating that the installation has completed:
Select Finish and the process is done - your device should then update. After two to three minutes, the device should read “WELCOME!”
Configure the triPOS service
If you don't already have a text editor and source code editor installed on your computer you will need one. This will allow you to view and edit the file correctly, we recommend using Notepad++, a free text editor and source code editor that can be downloaded here.
Following the installation, you need to make a few modifications to the triPOS config file.
The triPos service and config will be usually installed in one of these folders:
- 64 bit: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Vantiv\triPOS Service”
- 32 bit: “C:\Program Files\Vantiv\triPOS Service”
Sometimes, however, it can instead be found in a different location such as:
- 64 bit: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Vantiv”
- 32 bit “C:\Program Files\Vantiv”
To make the modifications, with Notepad++, open the file triPOS.config - this contains a list representing the specific configuration of the chip reader. For each field within this file, the only portion of text which might require amending will be between the > and < symbols. For example:
- <DO NOT EDIT>EDIT HERE</DO NOT EDIT>
We’ve listed out below all of the fields which may need amending. Do not change anything other than the items below as this may cause your chip reader to malfunction.
- <testMode>true</testMode> replace true with false.
- <pinPadIdleMessage>Welcome to YourCompany</pinPadIdleMessage> replace YourCompany with your company name.
- <allowPartialApprovals>true</allowPartialApprovals> replace true with false.
- <isDebitSupported>true</isDebitSupported> replace true with false.
- <isGiftSupported>true</isGiftSupported> replace true with false.
- <isEmvSupported>false</isEmvSupported> replace false with true.
- <driver>Null</driver> replace Null with IngenicoUpp.
Note: there are a couple spots that have <driver> in the file. You will want to only change the one connected to terminalType and where IngenicoUpp is listed above it. As seen here:
<!--Driver values can be: Null, VeriFoneXpi, VeriFoneCXpi, VerifoneFormAgentXpi, IngenicoRba, IngenicoUpp.-->
- <comPort>COM9999</comPort> replace COM9999 with the COM Port determined earlier in this process. Make sure it reflects the port you chose when installing the device driver earlier. If you’re not sure what the port is, you can find it in Device Manager under Ports (COM and LPT).
- <message>Welcome!</message> is the message that will appear on your chip reader when a transaction is not in process. The default is set to “Welcome!” but feel free to change this to whatever you would like. While there’s no character limit, we recommend that you keep your message short to ensure it remains on the screen.
- <transactionAmountLimit>10</transactionAmountLimit> replace 10 with 100000.
Spots to check
Before saving the file you will also want to check two spots to make sure that they are matching your World Pay information. If they do not match payments will not be able to go through.
- <terminalId>0000009999</terminalId> replace 0000009999 with your Terminal ID.
- The terminal ID is connected to your payment service provider. You will want to make sure the number in the middle is matching your unique Terminal ID.
- <serialLane description="NULL PIN pad" laneId="9999">
Make sure that laneId is set to 9999. Sometimes this can be changed out when the triPOS is installed. You will want this number to match to the one in the Box Office App. In the next section of this article you will see where this is.
Once you’ve ensured that your config file matches the above example, save the file. Your device will update once more - while this is happening your screen will appear to reset. The process will likely take two to three minutes.
Register the Box Office App
Next, you will open the Box Office App and select the Chip & Pin Terminal tab to fill in the terminal details and register the Ingenico Lane 3000 to the Box Office App.
Under the Terminal type section make sure you select Element (Vantiv) and then fill in the Terminal Settings fields:
- Terminal name: The name that you would like this pinpad to use (you’ll see this when selecting it in the Box Office App, so make it something easy to recognize)
- Merchant name: The name of your Merchant bank
- This will be the bank your organization uses (Examples: Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc.)
- Address: Your organization’s address associated with your Worldpay account
- This will most likely be your venue’s physical address
- Lane ID: 9999
- Config file path: The location on your computer where the triPOS config file is stored
- Terminal Port: 8080
Select OK to save these changes, and your App should now be fully installed and configured.
Connect to your Spektrix System
Once the chip reader has been registered to the Box Office App you will next log in to Spektrix.
In Spektrix go to the control panel and select Change Local Settings.
From here you will want to select the chip reader you registered to the Box Office App on your computer in the Select Chip Terminal section. Select it to be highlighted and press ok.
Test a payment
You have now finished up all of the needed parts and can navigate to the Sales Interface to try a test transaction!
Select the Chip payment and insert the chip of the card as instructed through Spektrix and on the chip reader.
We suggest with a test payment that someone on your team gives it a try before using it for a real transaction. That way if issues pop up you can reach out to Spektrix Support and we can help troubleshoot as needed.
If you have any other questions about the chip reader installation process, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Spektrix Support by email to request a meeting to troubleshoot your chip reader.