NOTE: In this article, we use the new names for the Marketing Interface and the Fundraising Interface - Insights & Mailings and Opportunities. For more information about this change, see this article.
What is it?
The customer list builder allows you to extract customers from your Spektrix system based on the criteria you provide it. You can then use these customers in mailings, output a CSV list of their details, report on them, create opportunities in Opportunities or bulk update them with tags and attributes.
This article explains how to use the list builder and covers the following areas:
- Creating a list
- Defining who's in your list
- AND & OR rules
- The NOT rule
- The pre & main filters
- Configuring the output fields
- Audit Trails
- Actions for your list
How to use it.
Creating a List
- The list builder can be found at Control Panel > Insights & Mailings > Customer Lists
- You can add a new list by clicking New Customer List or you can edit an existing list by clicking the name of it in the List Explorer.
Defining who's in your list
- A new list will always start by containing everyone on your database
- You can then whittle down the number of people in the list by dragging segments from the left hand side of the screen into the dotted criteria section on the right
- Use the Update Count button at the top of the screen to see how many people you currently have in your list.
If you change the criteria whilst the count is running then you'll need to run the count again.
AND & OR Rules
- You can combine multiple segments in one list
- Dropping a segment into the same dotted area as another segment means that your list will contain people who fall into all of the segments in that area (an AND rule)
- Dropping a segment into a separate dotted area means that your list will contain people who fall into all of that area's segments or all of the segments in any other area's (an OR rule)
For example, by arranging the segments as below our list would contain people who have agreed to be emailed AND booked for Macbeth OR people who have agreed to be emailed AND booked for Hamlet.
- You can add in as many ANDs and ORs as you like. Each AND you add will decrease the amount of people you are working with (because your rules are stricter) whereas each OR you add should increase your total (because you are widening the rules)
The NOT Rule
- Once you have dragged a segment into your list you will see a "Not" checkbox on the segment rectangle
- Tick this box to reverse the logic of the segment - meaning that you will get everyone who is not included in this segment
For example - in the image below we've made a segment that gets everyone who booked for Macbeth. By ticking the Not box, we're now getting everyone who hasn't booked for Macbeth (AND has agreed to be emailed)
Remember that ticking Not gets everyone who is not included in that segment. So, ticking the Not box on a segment of people who have come exactly 3 times to your theatre will get people who have come 1,2 and 4+ times.
Pre & Main Filter
- In the top left corner of the screen you will see that a customer list is divided into 3 sections - the first 2 are called the pre filter and the main filter.
- The pre and main filters are provided to make it easier to manage your lists
- Any segments you drop into the pre filter will always apply before any segments in your main filter - so you can be sure that you have removed or included people before you move onto the main filter to do the main part of your segmentation.
For example, in the image below we've put a reasonably complex set of segments into the main filter - but to be absolutely sure that everyone in the list has agreed to be emailed we've put the data protection segment into the pre filter. Spektrix will first get all the people who have agreed to be emailed and out of those people it will then find the customers who meet the criteria specified in the main filter.
- The final section of the customer list lets you set which details you wish to export if you wish to extract the customer list as a CSV file (see "Actions for your lists" below)
- Simply drag the desired fields from the list at the top into the dotted areas beneath. The order in which you place the fields will be the order they come out in the CSV
- Untick "Only show commonly used columns" to see more field options
- You can drag fields from the Output Columns area into the Sort By area to sort the output as desired.
An example of an output giving the Spektrix ID, the Title, First Name, Last Name and Email Address of all customers in this list. When the CSV is generated Spektrix will sort the customers alphabetically by the Last Name column
It's a good idea to always include the Customer ID in your output - this means that we can import the data back into Spektrix if you need us to along with any changes you've made to the customer.
You only need to set output fields if you are extracting a CSV list - all other actions will ignore the outputs here and instead use the fields required to complete your request.
You can see who has made changes to a list by clicking the Audit Trail button. A pop up will show you the date and time of each update and which user made the change.
This option allows you to easily check whether a list has been altered since you last used it.
Segments are not 'static' - the number of people in your lists may increase over time as more customers meet the rules in your segments.
Actions for your list
Once you have set up your list there are a number of things you can do with the data - all of which are accessed from the action drop down. The options are:
Output as a CSV / Output as unformatted Excel file
These options will simply give you a list of all the customers in your customer list. You can use the Output tab to define what details are on the export.
Please note that if you extract a list in order to send a mailing or email via a 3rd party then Spektrix will not be able to provide you any return on investment information. You should use the Standard Mailing or Bulk Email options instead (see below)
Use in a standard mailing
This option will start the standard mailing wizard, allowing you to record that you have mailed these people in Spektrix. You can then use this information in future segments or get return of investment information on the mail out.
Use in integrated email
This option will take you to the New Mailing page, allowing you to schedule the sending of your email. Using this method of sending an email will ensure that you can track links through Spektrix and use that information in further segments. You will also be able to get detailed return of investment reports.
Apply or Remove tag/ data protection; Attach attribute
These options allow you to add, remove or amend tags, attributes and DP statements on all customers in your list.
Run through a report
This option allows you to run only the customers in your list through any of your reports. This allows you to add an extra layer to the reporting criteria (since you know that the only people in the report will meet all the rules in your list)
Bulk create opportunities
Here you can add all the customers from your list to your opportunities dashboard in Opportunities.